Kosciuszko Foundation Tuition Scholarships support American students of Polish descent for graduate studies at colleges and universities in the United States. Scholarships ranging from $1,000 to $7,000 are awarded on a competitive basis for one academic year. Funding is for full-time studies during academic year September 2017 – May 2018. A scholarship application form will post to the bottom of this page in Fall 2016.
All fields and majors are eligible for scholarship funding. In addition, dedicated funding is available for:
- law and engineering studies at DePaul University and non-public colleges and universities in Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, and Wisconsin;
- residents of New Jersey, first preference for studies in nursing, teaching and business;
- residents of NY state for studies in medicine;
- residents of Amsterdam, NY;
- residents of Chicopee, MA;
- residents of New Hampshire;
- residents of Connecticut, first preference for residents of Fairfield and New Haven counties;
- students who evidence leadership, excellent written and verbal communication skills and participation in school and/or community activities;
- sciences: physical-chemical, biological, technical and natural sciences;
- applied sciences; medicine; music; humanities; social sciences; architecture; engineering; medical research; education; piano performance; violin performance; orchestral studies; law; art; fine arts; pharmacy; chemistry; accounting; business administration; banking; finance; Polish studies.
United States citizens and permanent residents of Polish descent who are beginning or continuing their graduate studies and who have a minimum GPA of 3.0. Scholarships are awarded for full-time studies only. Only one member per immediate family may receive a tuition scholarship during any given academic year. Applicants may re-apply. Awards are limited to only two tuition scholarships per individual during the period of his/her studies.
Selection is based on academic excellence, the applicant’s academic achievements, interests and motivation, the applicant’s interest in Polish subjects or involvement in the Polish American community. Financial need is taken into consideration.
A complete application includes the following materials:
- A – Completed Scholarship Application and Financial Forms;
- B – Statement of Purpose;
- C – Official Transcripts;
- D – Two Letters of Reference;
- E – Letter of Acceptance ;
- F – Proof of Polish Ancestry;
- G – Passport-size photo;
- H – $35 non-refundable application fee.
- A – A copy of the application form appears here for review during the application period. The on-line form posts to the “Click Here to Apply” during the application period, see below.
- B – In the statement of purpose discuss your major and your academic and career goals. Your statement of purpose will be three pages, double spaced. Include your full name and page numbers on the upper right hand corner of each page of your statement. Save you file and upload it to the on-line application form.
- C – Submit official transcripts for the last three full years of academic work through the most recent Summer semester. Submit official transcripts via US postal service.
- D – Request letters of academic reference from two recent professors / teachers. Recommendations must be written on university letterhead and may be sent by professors directly to the Kosciuszko Foundation via US postal service or via e-mail to Addy@thekf.org
- E – Students entering graduate school or beginning doctoral studies in academic year September 2017 must submit a copy of the letter of acceptance to graduate school/doctoral program. Letters may be submitted via US postal service or e-mail to Addy@thekf.org. Letters are accepted through April 10th.
- F – Submit proof of Polish ancestry. Upload supporting documents such as birth certificates, passports, naturalization papers and other official documents to show your lineage to the ancestor who was born in Poland. Highlight relevant names in supporting documents. If documentation is not available, a letter from a prominent member of the community verifying your Polish ancestry will be accepted. Letters from relatives are not official documents and will not be accepted.
- G – Submit a photo of yourself which is suitable for publication in the Kosciuszko Foundation’s Newsletter. Electronic photo may be uploaded to the on-line application.
- H – Submit the $35 non-refundable application fee together with the Checklist to the KF via USPS. Please make your check or money order payable to the Kosciuszko Foundation.
Notes for Re-applicants:
- With the exception of photos, proof of Polish descent and university acceptance letters, applicants who are applying for scholarship renewal must update all materials since their last application submission. This includes an updated statement of purpose; official transcripts for the interim period through the most recent Summer semester (do not submit current Fall grades unless requested); two updated letters of reference; complete the on-line tuition scholarship application; and submit the financial information form.
- Submit Checklist and a $35 non-refundable application fee;
- Renewal of scholarships are not guaranteed; candidates who are reapplying for funding are considered together with the new pool of applicants;
- Please see Notes above for additional information.
Notes for all applicants:
- The KF cannot confirm receipt of materials by phone.
- Do not staple check/money order to Checklist.
- Please send hard copy documents to:
15 East 65th Street
New York, NY 10065
Tel. (212) 734-2130 ext. 210
The scholarship deadline dates for academic year September 2016-May 2017 are :January 5 application, supporting materials and application fee April 10 copy of your Letter of Admission to Graduate School
Notification of results will be made on or about May 25, 2017.Changes in subject area which are made following scholarship notification must be communicated to the Kosciuszko Foundation Grants Department and may result in re-consideration or cancellation of the scholarship award. _____________________________________________________
THE ONLINE APPLICATION IS CURRENTLY CLOSED
THE NEXT OPPORTUNITY TO APPLY WILL BE IN FALL 2016 SEND AN E-MAIL TO ADDY@THEKF.ORG AND ASK TO BE PLACED ON THE “TUITION SCHOLARSHIP” MAILING LIST.TONh
You will need to upload several documents to complete the online application:
- A passport sized full-faced photograph of yourself.
- Statement of purpose.
- Financial information form.
- Proof of Polish ancestry.
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae (optional).
IF THE APPLICATION PERIOD IS CLOSED SEND AN E-MAIL TO ADDY@THEKF.ORG AND ASK TO BE PLACED ON THE “TUITION SCHOLARSHIP” MAILING LIST. Be sure to include information that illustrates your eligibility. For example, indicate your ethnicity (American of Polish descent), list your current educational level (graduate student and year of studies/undergraduate student and year of studies), and the major that you expect to pursue during academic year 2017-2018. Lastly include your city and state of residence. We will add your e-mail address to our list for one year. You will receive an e-mail notification when the application period opens.